I was cleaning my sewing space today and came across these little bits of paper ~
so I thought I'd share a little tip. I was in the process of putting my Puddle Jumping top together ~ all the blocks were finished and I had to decide what order I wanted them in the finished quilt. Unfortunately, my design wall wasn't big enough to hold a quilt that big (75" x 75") and I didn't want to lay them out on the floor. My solution? I took photos of the blocks and printed them out on paper, then proceeded to cut out all the blocks. That enabled me to lay them out and move them around until I was happy with the order they were in. Let me tell you, it was SO much easier moving 2-inch pieces of paper around than 15-inch blocks of fabric! Once I was happy with the layout, I took a photo of them all together like the one below.
I think this may be the fastest I've ever finished a quilt this size ~ three weeks from start to finish! I was motivated by the end of this quarter and our upcoming trip to Michigan. This is the quilt for daughter #2, Sara, whose oldest son is a Marine currently serving in Japan. My inspiration was a quilt designed by Tish Douglas in Electric Quilt (which I don't have), so I had to figure out what size to make all the blocks to get it to a nice lap size. I guess I still have some math skills left! I only added one border instead of three ~ I like things a little more simple, I guess. :)
Inspiration by Tish Douglas
A lot of the fabrics I used were from Because of the Brave, a collection from Moda. I thought that would be appropriate for this quilt!
I quilted the stripes with multiple straight lines that follow the chevrons. The star section was quilted in diagonal wavy lines. I finished the border with just one straight line 1/4" inside the edge.
I added a star and a couple of chevrons on the back and incorporated the label in that big block. I love the way the quilting looks on the back.
I'm happy to say that the first of my daughters' quilts is finished! This one is for my youngest, Kelli ~ together we decided on the pattern called Puddle Jumping and she picked yellow and grey for the colors. We found Modern Folkloric and thought it would be perfect for this design ~ great choice I think!
I have to say, this is the biggest quilt I've tackled so far ~ 75" x 75". Kind of scary to quilt on my little Babylock Grace, but I did it! With my trusty walking foot doing all the double straight-line stitching ~ and an extra table to hold up the quilt.
I'm not sure if you can see the backing, but it's covered in little chalk drawings of mason jars. Did I mention Kelli lives on a farm? So she does a lot of canning and I thought the mason jar fabric was perfect!
Here's a little closeup of the quilting ~ lots of straight lines around and through the blocks.
I'm so happy that Lori Holt came up with this gorgeous barn block ~ with a sunflower block that was similar to the big blocks on the front!
Binding in gold (I hate to say it but I forgot which fabric this is!).
The back, in all it's simple glory. :) Can't wait to see how Kelli likes it! I'm happy to say this is Finish #2 for this Finish-Along quarter! Linking up with Sarah!
So I was making good progress on my Puddle Jumping quilt when I got an invitation to test a paper-piecing pattern by Alyce Blythe of Blossom Heart Quilts. Even though I haven't done much paper-piecing, I decided to take a break from my 2015 Finish-Along list and jumped right in! The mini quilt pattern is called Happy Star and you can find it in her pattern shop here. Here are a few pics of my process.
Fabrics - mainly Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry
1st four sections ~ the two pieces on the left should have been on the right
All pieced and sewn together!
Top's finished ~ yay!
Here's a peek at the back and binding ~ it's FolklorePaisley Pumpkin Orange by Lily Ashbury
Happy to say that it's now hanging in my sewing space!
Just wanted to say Thanks to Alyce for letting me test this lovely pattern ~ check out her post to see all the different Happy Stars made by the other testers!