Wednesday, June 15, 2016

WIP Wednesday ~ Trying to catch up

I've been making a little progress on a few things here and there.  Once I finished my Elephant Parade quilt, I was dying to start on the quilt for Granddaughter #2.  Of course I realized that it wasn't listed on my Finish-Along list, but I didn't let that stop me!

GD#2 picked a pattern called Sea Swept by Cotton Patch Quilts which is totally paper-pieced (of course she did).  Now I haven't had that much experience with paper-piecing, so I told myself that this will be a great skill-builder.  The easiest part of this quilt is the fact that she wants just two colors - blue and white (which means less stress not having to decide which fabrics should go where!).  I picked up some Kona Lagoon for the blue and Kona White.

So far I've cut all the pieces (my lifesaver has been the Creative Grids Stripology Ruler!), organized them in baggies, and started the paper-piecing.  So far, so good.  :)

Feeling the need to get back to my Finish-Along list, I managed to piece together the backing for my Day Break quilt.  

I keep debating whether or not to square off the top and bottom of this quilt ~ but it's hurting my brain to figure out how to do it.  So I won't.  I love it anyway!

Made a little progress on my Little Love mini - half finished with the blanket stitching on the hearts.

That's it for now.  There's no way I'm catching up this quarter, but I'm having fun anyway.  :)  Linking up with Lorna for Let's Bee Social!

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

2016 Finish-Along ~ First 2nd Quarter Finish (finally)

I finished something! (patting myself on the back)  It's been a busy year, but apparently not quilting-wise ~ but at least I feel a little more motivated now to get more things done.  

I promised my grandkids I was going to make them a quilt this year.  So I finally finished the first one.  Presenting ~ Elephant Parade!

Like I said, I love this pattern by Lorna McMahon of Sew Fresh Quilts, so I was pretty excited when my granddaughter picked that for her quilt this year.  I added an extra row and a few more baby elephants, so it's a little bigger than the original pattern.  It ended up at 55" x 65" ~ a good size for snuggling under during Michigan winters.

I used a lot of stash fabrics with a Kona White background.  I don't remember what the main backing fabric was (kind of a mottled grey) but I added a strip of the same Elephants in Grey fabric that Lorna used in her first Elephants on Parade quilt.

I quilted it on my Juki with a diagonal cross-hatch and bound it in a grey and white stripe.

Linking up with Lorna for Let's Bee Social.