Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WIP Wednesday ~ Adventures in binding

Today was binding day on my Pinwheels & Postage Stamps quilt ~ I thought for sure I could do it all in one day ... dream on ...



They say we learn from our mistakes ~ I sure hope so!  I started out OK ~ I trimmed the quilt down cutting off the excess batting and backing.  So I thought I'd stitch along the edges to make them a little flatter so they'd stay still while I'm sewing on the binding.  Silly me, I must have sewn 1/4" away from the edge ~ not realizing that I needed to sew the BINDING 1/4" away from the edge.  Big mistake!  

Here's the binding all clipped on and ready to sew (I was really optimistic at that point!)

Once I got the binding sewn on, guess what showed up underneath?  Yup ~ the first line of stitching.

So I started doing a lot of this

and ended up with a whole bunch of visible little stitch holes.  Not happy.  I guess I'm just hoping that those little holes will eventually go away once the quilt is washed?



So tomorrow, my goal is to put on a good movie (or two) and hand-stitch the binding on.  I don't trust myself to machine stitch it!  Hopefully, I've learned something from today's adventures.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Georgi girl! Your quilt is sweet - love those cute frogs and the colours! I just did a post about machine binding yesterday. I'd love it if you took a look!
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-mother-load-machine-finished.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorna ~ just read your post and commented. That machine method looks intriguing ~ one of these days I'm going to try that. Thanks! Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)