Friday, May 12, 2017

Back from out west

Happy Friday!  It's been 3 weeks since we got back from our road trip out west ~ and I'm ready to go back.  :)  We rented a condo for a month in Mesquite, NV, and we spent the 3 nights before and the 3 nights after in Las Vegas.  My favorite stop on the trip was Upper Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ.  



It was absolutely breathtaking!  We had never been to a slot canyon before ~ next time we'll have to check out Lower Antelope Canyon.

I did take my sewing machine with me on our trip, but I really didn't get much done.  So I've been quite busy since I've been home.  :)

Today I finished both the top and the backing of the Facets quilt I'm making for my grandson.  I have to say I struggled with the improv fabric, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out!



I almost forgot to mention the best part of the trip.  My husband has an aunt and a cousin that live in Vegas.  His aunt is 97 and she and I play lots of video poker when we see her.  Before we left to come home, she asked me if I'd like to have her sewing machine (which belonged to her mother-in-law).  Of course I said yes ~ keeping my fingers crossed that it would be a Singer Featherweight!

Let me introduce my new baby ~ I call her "Maxie" after Auntie Maxine.  :)


She's a Featherweight 221J and she was built in 1961.  I printed off a manual that I found online and cleaned her up and oiled her in all the right places.  She runs like a dream and I've already taken her to a sew day with our local guild.   Best gift ever!  

I almost forgot ~ one of the highlights of the trip was going to "Quilt Las Vegas", the quilt show put on by the Desert Quilters of Nevada.  The best part was getting to meet Christa Watson (didn't get a pic, darn!) who was doing quilting demos at the Sew Yeah Quilt Shop booth ~ and she's just as sweet and fun as I thought she'd be!  It was great seeing some of her quilts up close ~ she's the first person that inspired me to quilt my own quilts on my domestic machine.  In fact, the Facets quilt I'm making is from her book, Machine Quilting With Style (which she autographed) and I was lucky enough to snag one of her awesome little buttons!  



Like I said earlier ~ I can't wait to go back to the mountains.  It's just so beautiful out there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)