Wednesday, October 15, 2014

WIP Wednesday ~ City Sampler progress and something new

I made some good progress on my City Sampler quilt this past week ~ I finished the back and got it basted.  But then I ended up very frustrated with the quilting.  :(  I decided just to quilt straight lines horizontally and vertically 1/4" outside the blocks ~ no big deal right?  What I ended up with were crooked lines, uneven stitches and puckers.  In all fairness, this is the biggest quilt I've made to date, and I had a hard time wrestling with it on my little machine.  I guess it's a good thing I'm keeping it for myself.  :)

I did finish the quilting today, got the quilt trimmed and cut the binding (using this tutorial for continuous bias binding).






I know I have 4 other projects on my Quarter 4 Finish-Along list, but I came across this QAYG Quilt-Along at Quilting In The Rain.  And since I've never done quilt-as-you-go, I had to try it, right?  I'm using a jelly roll of Valencia by Lila Tueller for Riley Blake.  Finished one block so far ~ need to finish four more by Sunday.  Love the QAYG process!



Linking up with Let's Bee Social and WIP Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. The QAYG bloock looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your frustration quilting on a small machine. This is what encouraged me to invest in a larger machine at the beginning of this year. Your sampler quilt does look beautiful and the binding choice is going to make the perfect frame! I have never done QAYG either. Your first block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree with Lorna. I bought my new machine at the beginning of this year, too. It's of a totally different quality in terms of sewing but the most important part is, it has a bigger thoat (space). As you have seen I just finished my second quilt but it made a big difference although it was almost the same (small) size. First time it was work. This time it was a breeze.

    BTW: Great work. Also like quite some of your other finishes. And to me the lines didn't look wobbly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the QAYG by Jera. Your fabric choice is really beautiful. I bet it's fun to try this form of quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)